As I type this right now I am sitting on the couch with my legs stretching the length of the couch. I rather like this position so who knows when I’m going to move. πŸ˜€ I am sore from my HALF-MARATHON! and am so pleased to be this sore!

I picked up my swag bag last night and couldn’t help being a little disappointed in the lack of edible goodies inside. Besides papers the only other item in the bag was a razor. My long-sleeve technical shirt looked amazing though. I am so glad I picked up my bag the day before. I needed those long sleeves this morning. πŸ˜€

As last night drew to a close I was so full of nervous energy I wondered if I was going to be able to get to sleep. I double and triple checked to make sure I had everything laid out so I wouldn’t forget anything in the morning.

I did get to sleep and got a solid 7.5 hours. Waking up on a Saturday with the sky still dark is not my favorite but I don’t mind when I get to race.

I was so full of nervous energy that I could barely keep it inside as I darted around the kitchen after breakfast and devotions making sure I had my ipod, headphones, protein bar, swag bag to keep my purse in, gate check ticket and keys. 5 minutes after I left the house I thought that I had left the gate check ticket at home. I resigned myself to running the race with my keys in my pocket, not ideal but I would have to because of the election materials in my car. Then I lifted my swag bag and saw it. πŸ˜€

After I parked I passed by the shuttle bus in favor of walking to the stadium. It’s not that far and I wanted to warm up anyway. By the time I dropped off my bag at the gate check and made my way through the hundreds of people to the start line the race was about to start. I got as close to the front as I dared but it still took 35 seconds before I reached the start after the gun went off.

This course had split times for the half-marathon at the odd numbered miles so I got the first indication of my pace, 9 minutes. I couldn’t believe it. Somehow though I managed to keep that pace up for most of the race.

I felt absolutely fantastic through the first half of the race. Of course at that point of my runner’s high I decided that next year I would run the marathon. Then I realized that I would run my first marathon when I was 26.2 years old. No kidding.

I need new shoes though. I started to feel it at mile 9. I think that I could have maintained a slightly higher pace if my feet felt better.

In the last half of the race I tried to keep pace with a pair of runners, an older guy and younger girl. I think they might have been father and daughter. From mile 7 to 11 we went back and forth but after we passed 10.4 (the longest I have ever run before this time) my legs started to hold me back.

When I lost track of the father daughter pair I thought that I probably wouldn’t make my new reach goal of sub 2 so I did let myself pull back just slightly. I wish I hadn’t but I’m not going to back track and think through all the ways I could have shaved off 26 seconds.

All of the last 2.1 miles I kept telling myself that I was going to keep running, I was going to finish this race without walking once. I had come so far there was no way I was going to give up now.

We turned at the stadium. I tried to pick up the pace a little. As we ran along side the stadium to the field level entrance I noticed a familiar looking figure. Mom made it! I had to laugh because she was fumbling with her phone trying to get it ready to take a picture. I wondered why she was outside the stadium and not inside at the finish. I felt a little disappointed that she wouldn’t see me actually finish.

I absolutely loved the fact that the last .1 miles was inside the stadium on the warning track all the way to home plate. For a baseball lover like me I was thrilled to be running in a real stadium (granted…single A minor league) on the warning track. At the turn on the third base line I could see the time and tried to pick up my pace to make sure that I made it under that wire before the clock ticked over to 2:01:00. I had to laugh at my twinge of disappointment at being so close to sub 2 but thrilled that I beat my goal time of 2:12:00 by an entire mile!

I have a finishers medal! I love it and I want about a billion more. πŸ˜€ Before we could get water and food we had to climb up the steps back to the concourse…torture. πŸ˜€

I don’t know the official results or my standings in my age group but over all out of 1700+ half marathoners I ranked 565!

I decided after I got my food, checked my results, got my bag back and met up with mom that I wanted to go out for breakfast so we went to Denny’s.

I have to give major props to Denny’s. I didn’t think originally that it would be possible to eat super healthy there but for 4 dollars I got 2 amazing wheat pancakes, 2 scrambled eggs and a bowl of delicious fruit. Now I have to get back to work.

I can’t wait for my next race! (A 5k in 2 weeks. πŸ˜‰ )



Filed under half marathon, race recaps, running


  1. A 2:01 Half is amazing πŸ™‚ Good job!!!

  2. Cocngrats on an awesome race! I missed the blogger meet up too yesterday at the race. 😦 Next time!!! Way to go on the great time!

  3. Awesome!! I am so proud of you.

  4. Pingback: On Racing Less | Stepping Out

  5. Pingback: Spinx Run Fest Race Recap | Stepping Out

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s